Wednesday 13 August 2014

Game 04 - Gravity Game: Analysis

I'm very happy with how the game turned out. It's a little shaky on the level design, by which I mean that I kind of hectically introduced new mechanics without full exploring the previous ones. I did try to keep this to a minimum and given the time frame I think I did quite well.

Like I said in the previous post, I lost a bit of momentum part way through making this game because I think I got a little hazy about where the game was actually going and I didn't have a clue about how to mess with the music like I did. It actually turned out to be easier than I'd anticipated although it wasn't exactly the effect I wanted. Ideally I would've had something similar to the aether soundtrack with instruments and melodies jumping in and out based on the direction the gravity was facing. I still don't even know if that's possible in Game Maker.
If I hadn't gotten sidetracked I would've played with the bouncing cubes some more for sure and just generally experimented with how the gravity affects other objects and perhaps other players too.

The game still has that annoying bug where you can get suck on the corner of a wall. Could never work out a fix for that.

I'm happy with the aesthetic and feel of the game. It could have done with more juice but that's more of a 'once you have all the mechanics and levels down' kind of thing anyways.

Although I think this prototype was a success I don't think it's something I want to make into a full game. I feel like the core mechanic just isn't compelling or interesting enough to consider spending a large amount of time polishing. On the surface it seems like it has a lot of possibilities but now I'm not so sure.

Anyways, on to Game 05 =]

No comments:

Post a Comment